October is here!
Welcome to October! We have lots of exciting things happening in October, not least of which is the release of two very special cask proof expressions of Roundstone Rye...
2015 Roundstone Rye Cask Proof Releases - TWO Amazing Expressions
We are very proud to announce the release of two of our newest expressions of Roundstone Rye Cask Proof! The Roundstone Rye has won gold medals from San Francisco to New York to London, and was recently called a “huge rye” and “great fun” in the 2015 edition of Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible. And now, we have two versions to share at cask proof.
The first expression is our Roundstone Rye "Maple Finished" Cask Proof, where we've taken those old maple-syrup barrels from the Langdon Wood maple syrup that we sell in our tasting room, and we re-filled them with whisky. The result is not cloying or sweet, but a smooth maple flavor that blends perfectly into the whisky, and a maple finish that goes on, and on, and on, and on... Only 26 cases will be available in the tasting room for sale!
The second expression is our Roundstone Rye "Peach Brandy Finished" Cask Proof, where we've taken one of our spent peach brandy barrels and finished the whisky in that barrel. In this case, again, the subtle fruitiness of the peach comes into the mid-palate, and a sweet peachy finish closes out the whisky. Only 8 (yes, EIGHT) cases are available in the tasting room for sale! This one will absolutely sell out right away, so please get yours ASAP to ensure you get some.
Both whisky expressions will also be released in limited quantities into the Maryland, DC, and California markets. Be sure to check our Whiskey Wednesday in DC schedule for your chance to get a free tasting of these newest expressions! Details, here: http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/events/1118-introducing-whisky-wednesdays-with-catoctin-creek
Roundstone Rye Cask Proof will be released at the Purcellville distillery on September 23 for VIP members and Saturday, Oct. 10 for the general public. Information on VIP Club may be found here: http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/vip-club
|What:||Catoctin Creek Cask Proof Release|
Catoctin Creek Distillery
VIP ONLY: Sept. 23, 1pm
General Public: Oct. 10, 12pm
Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye "Cask Proof" Whisky, 59.8% ABV, whisky distilled from 100% rye, 750ml, SRP $89.90. While supplies last!
Catoctin Creek wins another Gold Medal in New York!
We were awarded a gold medal for its Roundstone Rye "92 Proof" whisky in the New York World Wine and Spirits Competition.
"We are absolutely delighted by this award, from one of the most respected spirits judging competitions on the planet," remarked Scott Harris, founder and general manager of the distillery. "New York has always been the center of our cultural universe, and it is wonderful to get this recognition from an internationally-respected organization!"
Despite its small size, the small Purcellville distillery has seen distribution expanding rapidly in the last five years, sending its organic spirits to New York, California, and internationally.
The New York World Wine and Spirits Competition is one of the largest competitions for the retail beverage industry in the world and has attracted top professional Judges from restaurants, bars and clubs, food and beverage buyers, USBG Mixologists, Educators, Beverage Directors, Columnists, Writers, Sommeliers and Chefs. All Judges will follow and utilize a proven numerical evaluation system that will promote reliable and consistent results.
For more information about the New York World Wine and Spirits Competition, see www.nyworldwineandspiritscompetition.com
Malt Imposter does a CrAzY review of our rye!
Those zany guys at Malt Impostor are at it again, this time, reviewing The Single Cask Nation Catoctin Creek 3 Year Old Rye Whisky. The reviews are always crazy, but I think he liked it:
On the scale of the greatest players on the Phoenix Suns— The SCN Catoctin Creek 3 Year Old Rye Whisky (White Wine Cask) is Charles Barkley–Though he only played for a few years, he was nevertheless the league MVP on a team he led to the NBA Finals in 1992-93. Also, he was never, in any way, turrible.
Read the full review, here.
Here are a few really cool events planned at the distillery and in the area:
- October 3 - Oysterfest/Oktoberfest - Join Catoctin Creek, Adroit and War Shore Oyster Co. at Magnolia's for cool cocktails, beer and oysters all day!
- October 7 - Whisky Wednesday at DC Harvest - Join Catoctin Creek for free samples and cocktail specials at DC Harvest
- October 10 - Cask Proof Release Day - Maple and peach brandy finished rye go on sale today at noon!! GET YOURS!
- October 14 - Whisky Wednesday at Boss Shepherd's - Join Catoctin Creek for free samples and cocktail specials at Boss Shepherd's
- October 16 - Dinner at the Distillery - Fine dining at the distillery. Join Scott and Becky for a four-course dinner with cocktail pairings
- October 17 - LINCOLN Field Trip - The team from LINCOLN in DC comes out to provide a barbecue feast at the distillery!
- October 18 - Smithsonian's "Mind of a Critic" - Come and see your favorite food critics and learn what their job is like, with CCDC cocktails, of course!
- October 21 - Whisky Wednesday at Southern Efficiency - Join Catoctin Creek for free samples and cocktail specials at Southern Efficiency
- October 22 - Virginia Spirits Pairing Dinner at Trummer's - Join FIVE distilleries for a SIX course mega-meal extravaganza
- October 23 - Buncearoo Presents! Flagship Romance and Shayfer James - Another awesome Friday... another awesome concert!
- October 24 - Bottling Workshop - Always free to public, and a fun morning of breakfast, bottling and tastings!
- October 28 - Whisky Wednesday at Jack Rose - Join Catoctin Creek for free samples and cocktail specials at Jack Rose
For the full list of events, check our events page.
Cocktail of the Month – Cucumber Collins
Now that autumn is here, let's celebrate with an appropriate cocktail! The equinox is that special time in the calendar when the length of day and night are exactly equal across all the globe. This only happens at the beginning of spring and now, at autumn. From here on out in the northern hemisphere, our nights will be longer than our days as we slide into autumn and winter.
With that in mind, here is a cocktail from Chad Robinson made just for the season.
1½ oz Catoctin Creek Watershed Gin
1 oz Cocci Americano vermouth
½ oz Fall shrub*
Sage and sliced apple garnish
Combine all ingredients in a shaker of ice, and strain into a rocks glass with one or two large cubes. Garnish with an apple slice and a leaf of sage.
See this cocktail and hundreds more on our cocktails page.
As always, there are lots of fun and information on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, where you can stay up to date with the daily activities at the distillery. We are open every Tuesday through Sunday for tastings and bottle purchases, so stop by and see us sometime!
Scott & Becky